Welcome to our blog!

This blog is about our adventure of a lifetime in the Tundra of western Alaska. We hope you enjoy your visit!

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bad weather on its way!

Ever since I arrived, the weather has been sunny with clear blue skies and occasional wind gusts.  It's been so calm that I'm kind of hankering for some weather that actually feels like Alaska.  Luckily for me :) according to weather . com, it's supposed to warm up therefore bringing snow this upcoming Friday through the Friday 7 days later (so far!).  Since I hear that spring is the season with the most blizzards, I imagine it'll be something like that which will be exciting to see.  I'll make sure to post a picture!

I'm still struggling with changing my mindset on living in Alaska.  I think in my head it still feels like it's temporary.  I know it's not but with not working and taking a little break, it feels temporary.  Today I got in touch with the HR person at the hospital.  She has a copy of my resume now and will keep her eyes open for me for a job.  She also gave me one suggestion for one job that I'll be applying for this week.  Hopefully there won't be much competition for it.

The house we looked at yesterday was a really nice place (for Bethel) with two bedrooms, washer/dryer in the unit and a deck that was outside of the master bedroom as well as a second larger deck at the front entrance of the house.  Unfortunately it was a bit too pricey for us and a little farther from the hospital than we would like.  Jeff and I would both like to be close enough to walk to the hospital in the warmer months.  Then we would also be closer to the main part of town and it would definitely be more convenient for grocery shopping, etc.  We'll keep looking until we find what suits us.

In two weekends, the cultural center in town will be having our annual dance festival.  Native Eskimos all come together for a "family reunion" for tribal dancing and a sort of market.  Many come from their villages with homemade goods such as seal hats, shoes, jewelry etc.  I'll make sure to get pictures of this too.

Have a fantastic week!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment