Welcome to our blog!

This blog is about our adventure of a lifetime in the Tundra of western Alaska. We hope you enjoy your visit!

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Current state of the river

At this point, the river is looking pretty slushy. As of last weekend people were still driving on it on their snow machines.  I think they're crazy, but I hope they know better than I do.  One of my friends drove on the river a couple of weeks ago to go fishing and they had to wear life jackets just in case they hit a wet spot.  That's the point where I'd be thinking no.  I wasn't really even willing to drive on the ice road unless it was frozen pretty solid!


 Look at all those holes!








 Must have broken down.  Crappy spot to have to get to, although it was gone by the next night.

 The tripod!  Jeff and I bought tickets for the raffle for river break-up.  We chose a bunch of dates and times, including the 26th and the 28th.  That's only two and four days away; maybe we'll win!
 The water is rising quite a bit.  Right now, it's probably about 8 feet below this wall, but by the time the river breaks up, it'll be a foot or two below the wall.  Some parts of bethel (the low parts) tend to flood around that time of year, so I think it's pretty expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment